Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Furseus' Words (Adagio grandioso)

When he was restored to his body, and throughout his whole life, on is shoulder and jaw he bore the mark of the fire that he had felt in his soul, visible to all men. - Furseus' Vision, 633 C.E.

And one of the seraphims flew to me, and in his hand was a live coal, which he had taken with the tongs off the altar. And he touched my mouth, and said: Behold this hath touched thy lips, and thy iniquities shall be taken away, and thy sin shall be cleansed. -Isaiah 6:6-7

Here I am, a man long in years and short in age,
Naked in December, plunging in again to icy waters
that will not cool my skin nor quench my thirst.
I speak at nonce, and at vesper sing but not my prayers
into the rafter beams.
I shall not speak again before my death.

When the angel seized me up I saw below
The rocky depths on which I'd fall,
The crushing depths on which I'd fall,
The dashing waves on which I'd fall,
It is my gift, now as then, to neither laugh
nor frown;
But look upon them steep below.

When my god allowed for me to feel the scalding heat
of the burning soul against my face, I could not flinch
or look away. It is my gift, now as then, neither flinch
nor look away,
but feel that burning flesh a kiss.

When I was cast again against those rocks,
And knew I could not rise, and called again my God,
I was left to lie until I could raise myself. It was my gift,
Then as now, to wait until I could lift myself,
and gather with my strength.

Here I am, a man long in years and short in age,
Naked in the December of my youth, plunging, diving
And rejoicing that my thirst, my fire remains.
I, who have once whispered in the ear of God,
Know I may not pray again
Until God speaks to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment