Thursday, October 28, 2010

It's been two years, one of grief and sort of inarticulate rage that
I saw as being something I could say. The first was the breakdown,
the second of talking. I'm at my best I know when I have something to praise,
The leafless trees, the treeless leaves, the wind that animates them both
Is my great secret and I sometimes think the source of the mystery at my core
That still allows me friends.
A year and a half, I've had the same
Phone number, reality, non-redeeming guilt and redeeming sense of self.
I don't have the same friends, or same craving to love and be loved beyond
Those trees, that sky, these keys I know. I've forgotten the best lines
In writing back to students, but can picture students in my head
And think of how I know them now. Better with names, worse with faces,
I met some people whom I ought to know
And then forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment